Thursday, February 22, 2007

an interesting article I stumbled upon

http://www.simonhamilton.com/Tallinn/TallinnStreets.html

Estonian has been ranked as the world's 2nd most difficult language to learn -- by whom, I can't remember. Whether it is actually true and, if so, particular to the language, or more a question of language group, I do not know (all other things being equal, an Asian will find French harder to learn than a Spaniard, for example). What I have found, tackling my first non-Indo-European language, is that its vocabulary, even basic, has no stickies (remembering the German "milch" for "milk" is easier than the Estonian "piim"; ditto French "crème" for "cream", than "koor"). Everything must be learned laboriously by rote, and I ain't a spring chicken no more.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Universalis