Monday, January 07, 2008

Separation

Kingdom Perspetive: Separation
by Joan R., Guam
Women of the Harvest magazine
My heart is breaking. Even as I write these words, our son is 10,000 miles away, and has just
said his goodbyes to his dad, who is there to take him to college.... It will be his first night in a dorm, in a strange room, with two other young men who will seem even stranger.
As I sob, I'm glad I am alone, because I wonder if I am being too emotional about our capable,
intelligent and loveable son. But my mother's heart cannot help it. I can hardly sit still because
of the urge to want to rescue him from whatever my mind has imagined could threaten him....
Why does it hurt so much, I ask myself. Perhaps there is the threat of inadequacy. Have we
done a sufficient job in preparing him for this moment? Will he stay true to following Christ ...? Will he face the challenges of school and life with maturity and courage? Will he seek God for strength and peace and wisdom? Will he crave to know God, as we have prayed for him? Will he keep his ways pure as Psalm 119 directs? As I read that Psalm this morning I adapted it in prayer for him "Lord, I know how our son, David, can keep his way pure, by living according to your word. Let him seek you with all his heart. Don't let him stray from your commands. Let him hide your word in his heart so that he won't not sin against you. Praise you, Lord. Teach him your ways." (Psalm ll9:912)....
I know it is time for him to find his own way. I know it! I know it in my head, but it will take longer for my heart to accept it.
And so I find this to be one of the hardest lots in life as a missionary: to bear what is for us a literal ocean of separation from the children God has given us to love and care for, to stay here in his ... location until He directs us differently. Our children have played such a vital role in our ability to make relationships with these ... people. They have been partners with us in God's work here. To release them feels initially like we are cutting off part of ourselves.
But it isn't until we let them go that we can really see who they will become. And we will never stop praying for them and loving them, and looking forward to the next time we will see them!
God, help us to be faithful and obedient through the change of seasons in life. And thank you, thank you that you love us and promise never to leave us or our children who know you, no matter where we all are.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Universalis